Wednesday, August 25, 2010

This Is Just Who I Am.....

I will start off by saying (because you may not read any further), if "this is just who I am" does not honor God....it's not who you should be. For those of you who do not care what God or any one else thinks of you, the rest of this blog will mean nothing. But, if you DO care, read on.....

I've hated my nose since I was in the 6th grade. I don't know what happened! It started growing and wouldn't stop!! It's not like an ugly birthmark or even a cow-lick (I have those too!). You just can't hide your nose!!! I will confess I have even prayed about my nose and spent countless hours pushing it upward thinking maybe a big PUG nose would be cuter. (sad, but true!!) When my brother wanted to hurt my feelings (which was NOT often...I have a great brother!!), he would call me "Toucan Sam". Ugh! Even typing it hurts!!! As much as I don't like my nose, I believe God loves it! Since I was created in His image....maybe He likes big noses??? I see a lot of big noses in this world! Regardless of how I feel, the Bible tells me I was "fearfully and WONDERFULLY made".

Okay, now stay with me. I can't change my nose..... understood. But let's talk about PERSONALITY. I am not ignorant of DNA (nor is God). Again, the Bible tells me that God "made all the delicate, INNER parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb" (I love my mom!). I know that DNA plays a part in our personality. I'm a bit on the silly-side. I'm in the same mood when I get up as when I go to bed (the party just continues!!). My tolerance for people who do not agree with me on everything is a little low.....I DON'T like sports and I am not a genius. I'm just silly....yep, if I had to describe my personality in one word, it would be silly. On occasion I whip out my inner child and talk just like her. She's pretty cute and she makes Wade laugh. (sshh, please don't tell any one from my church about this! They might not "view" me the same!) Personality is an interesting thing. We can even use it to justify sin. .....OUCH! That low-tolerance thing I have can turn ugly FAST! My love to talk has led me to say anything but edifying words at times. But...but, it's just "who I am".

If you read in the book of Galatians, it says, "Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful nature will harvest decay and death from that sinful nature. But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit.....What counts is whether we have been transformed into a new creation. May God's peace and mercy be upon all who live by this principle; they are the new people of God."

When I became a Christian my DNA didn't change. I'm still silly....but I am accountable. The truth is, we are all accountable for our own actions. "Hold the phone"... Isn't this the age of "NON-accountability"??!! Nope, it's not. I am a Christian and I am accountable to God...and to you. I CHOOSE daily to cry out to God as the psalmist did so many years ago, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends You, and lead me along the path of everlasting life...Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting You. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to You....Teach me to do Your will, for you are my God. May Your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing." God can and will use my life, my DNA, and even my silliness, as long as I say, "This is just who God wants me to be...."

1 comment:

  1. Awww I love you and your silliness... Good word on "it's just my personality" Thank You Jesus for the DNA change and Pam's words!

    ReplyDelete