Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Opportunities to Grow

PTL! PTL!! In the movie "Evan Almighty", Morgan Freeman (playing the role of God) said something like, "when someone prays for ___ (let's pretend he said 'patience'), I don't just GIVE them patience. But I give them OPPORTUNITIES to grow patience." That was badly paraphrased, but hopefully you get the point. Although that's not in the Bible verbatim, it is definitely there by example! So.....as cool as that may sound (God granting opportunities) it is oh-so-challenging!! I feel like I have been through a long tunnel of my weaknesses just to watch God do some amazing stuff in my heart! In the past couple of weeks I have shed MANY MANY tears. Bitterness has looked me square in the eyes, fear has been a constant but totally UNINVITED companion, anger and probably a little rage have had their boxing gloves on (waiting for me to get in the ring), my past sins have played in my head like bad 80's reruns and my ability to love & view others through God's eyes have been as unstable as an al dente noodle!! ........then came the morning!!! "Oh Lord, hear me as I pray; pay attention to my groaning. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for I pray to no one but You. Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to You and wait expectantly." Psalm 5:1-3 "Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each morning...The Lord is good to those who depend on Him, to those who search for Him." Lamentations 3:23 & 25 "But very early on Sunday morning the women went to the tomb, taking spices they had prepared. They found that the stone had been rolled away from the entrance....He isn't here! He has risen from the dead! Remember what He told you back in Galilee, that the son of man must be betrayed into the hands of sinful men and be crucified, and that he would rise again on the third day." Luke 24:1,2,6 & 7 "Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28:20 And finally...(& in RED letters) "Peace be with you." Luke 24:36. Even while traveling through the tunnel, God's Word has assured me that He hears my prayers, His mercy is unlimited, He is GOOD, He has conquered sin & death, He will NEVER leave me and He IS peace. What an OPPORTUNITY to grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment